Our guest blogger, Katie Christensen, is an expert when it comes to sun safety. At only 23, she was diagnosed with skin cancer, and has since made it her mission to source the best sun-safe products and tips. See below for her finds:
When possible, opt for a sunscreen full of Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide – the mineral options for sunscreen – which is the natural and a true physical sunscreen.
TOP SUN TIPS
· Apply sunscreen liberally – at least a shot-glass worth to cover your entire body
· Use at least a quarter-size amount to cover your face, neck and ears
· Reapply every 2 hours, and always reapply after being in water (even if it says it’s waterproof)
· Apply at least 15 minutes prior to sun exposure
· Always opt for SPF 30+
· Don’t assume that clothes cover you – many t-shirts have a UPF of only 5! Harmful rays can still penetrate apparel; darker colors are best
· Always wear sunscreen – even in cloudy weather – on any exposed areas of the skin; especially face, neck, chest and hands.
· Wear a wide-brimmed hat and get under an umbrella if extended sun exposure
· Sand and water reflect harmful rays, so even if under an umbrella, you need sunscreen
· See a dermatologist EVERY year – every 6 months if high-risk skin
TOP SUNSCREENS (most can be found at Whole Foods, Mother’s Market, spas or online)
Mineral Fusion – I love all of their products – from sunscreens to face wash, I bought everything by them when I got pregnant. They are the cleanest products that I’ve been able to find on the market, and are super gentle on skin. I’m very sensitive, and I have had no issues with their stuff. Sunscreen goes on a little white at first but quickly clears. I use the Mineral SPF 40 Facial Moisturizer under my makeup, daily.
Devita – Their solar body sunscreen is great…all of their sunscreens are full of Zinc, but none leave any white residue! And it makes my skin feel soft and nourished; great for everyday moisturizer and body lotion.
COOLA – This is a fantastic product! It’s all organic, vitamin rich, super moisturizing and feels great on the skin. It’s light and many of their sunscreens are full of Zinc & Titanium without the white residue. Great for everyday moisturizer and all other activities. Plus, it smells really yummy J
Kiss My Face Natural Mineral Sunscreen for Face – full of Zinc and Titanium, this blocker was voted #1 by the EWG this year
California Baby - For all of my prego friends (and my goodness, there are quite a few of you!) this is a fantastic option. Natural, healthy and non-chemical. Ok for sweet baby skin!
Sun Bum – for a good chemical sunscreen that offers great protection and is paba-free, I do like this choice, although it does not contain Zinc/Titanium
Aveeno Baby – personally, I would only use an all-natural Zinc sunscreen on my baby, but this is a decent product for adults if you don’t have the other options listed above
And remember – regardless of if it’s sunny, gloomy or you even if are going to be inside all day, it’s still important to apply SPF 30 everyday…especially on face, neck, chest and hands. Keep covered up and in the shade whenever possible, and don’t forget your hat if you are planning on spending more than 30 min outside!
Visit Katie’s Blog, Its Lovely Lately here.